The Founding

Infanta could have formed millions of years ago. It could have been a result of sedimentation from the Sierra Madre Mountain. Through time, the fast-moving Agos River could have cut through the walls of the Sierra Madre and carried bits of rocks and soils, until it deposited these sediments onto the foot of the mountain as it gushed towards the Polillo Strait. When a river slows down at the foot of the mountain, the deposits usually form a fan-shaped mound – a delta. The land formed by the neighboring municipalities of Real, Infanta, and Nakar is shaped as a delta, thus giving evidence to such a beginning. 

More than half a century after Magellan and his men landed in Cebu, a Spanish priest named Rev. Fr. Esteban Ortiz, OPM arrived in Binangonan del Ampon in 1578, and planted a wooden cross symbolizing the introduction of Christianity at the place. Don Diego Mangilaya, a native chieftain, founded the town of Infanta in 1696. Paying tribute to the name of its mythical founder, he led the construction of a church right to the place where Nunong Karugtong fell asleep. As late as the 1880’s Infanta was known by its mythical name Binangonan del Ampon. Since there was another Binangonan in nearby Rizal Province, this place was also called Binangonang Malayo. However, the name Infanta was given by a Spanish Captain named Juan Salvador in 1835 in honor of the daughter of King Philip II of Spain, and of the Jesus Infanta or Child Jesus. 

Succession of leadership followed with a titular name of cabeza de barangay. Don Diego Mangilaya served as cabeza from 1696 to 1699. Between 1700 and 1883, at least 171 settlers served as the cabeza. Listed below are among those who served as cabeza de barangay with highlights of their administration: 

Don Cosme Gutierrez, 1702: created Barrio Tongohin 
Don Francisco Sumalakay, 1706: created Barrio Banawang 
Don Nicolas Maalis, 1711: created Barrio Silangan 
Don Juan Nicolas Sarmiento, 1718: built Watch Tower and stockades around the town 
Don Francisco Pagdamihan, 1721: built two Watch Towers 
Don Guillermo Javier: founded Barrio Anoling 
Don Buenaventura Magnayon, 1736: built a church 
Don Antonio de Leon, 1759: inhabitants were free to carry arms to fight the Moros 
Don Agustin de San Juan, 1764: remodeled the church 
Don Diego Salvador: created Barrio Binonoan 
Don Juan Salvador Tonzon, 1835: widened the streets 
Don Luis Ruidera: Changed the church tower
Don Bartolome Gurango, 1858: constructed Miswa-Real Road
Don Arcadio Ortiz: created Barrio Dinahican